View Single Post
Old 12-23-2017, 10:31 PM

All three guitars in the images have the original finish.

Quote:
Warp isn't bad, so I have it in a press to see if it will 'find it's self' so to speak.
I think these are the most fun "budget vintage" guitars available, but, I have to warn you, the warp will get worse over time. There's very little glue in there, and the reinforcement bars were left smooth. So, the hide glue slips sooner or later. Note the lack of glue. Rough it up and epoxy it back after the neck is flattened:

As noted above, the fretboard is easy to get off. Many use a heat blanket. I used an old travel iron for years. Won't hurt the board (solid Brazilian rosewood). Be patient and get the board and glue joint completely warm. Work in sections. Start the separation at the nut end with a razor blade, then use a softly sharpened thin spatula for the rest of it. Wear gloves.

Look closely below at the area between fret 1 and the nut...I drill pilot holes through the board and partway into the neck before removing the board, to facilitate perfect positioning upon reassembly. I drill the size of brochette sticks, but anything (wire coat hangers, maple toothpicks, etc) will do; just match the drill to whatever is on hand. You can also see the upper pilot holes on the flipped-over board, left of the dovetail imprint (bottom picture):

Last edited by H165; 07-25-2020 at 05:20 PM.