View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindellama View Post
Registered 30-01-2018
1 post
Taylor's Marketing Machine intensifies...

Now that the proper fingerstyle demos are available, which are my thing. (Any links to the x vs v comparisons yet?)
All I can say is that it still sounds like a Taylor (heard better ones before). And it is still leagues away from the latest Santa Cruz, Froggie Bottom, and Kim Walker guitar video demos released by the Music Emporium this month. Which are pretty much what I consider perfect sounding guitars for my fingerpicking taste. Each with it's own flavour of out-of-this-world greatness.

As for another consideration on Taylor claims...
"Even sustain and volume across the fretboard" - Pretty much how most people describe OM guitars. So I guess they just found out how to make any guitar sound like a guitar first build in the early 20th century.
"Better intonation up the neck" - From my understanting the "problem" of intonation on guitars come from 2 things (please correct me if I forgot something).
1-Guitars are not (usually) tuned in perfect fifths;
2-All strings even being of differents gauges and tuned to different notes, have exactly the same scale lenght. Which can bring a load of problems even with compensation at the saddle.
Changing the bracing does not change any of these things. And don't make a guitar be in tune "like a piano"(temperament, etc). All bracing can do on a properly voiced guitar is getting rid of wolf notes and inconsistencies, and the type of bracing isn't relevant, only the proper voicing of the guitar.
For a guitar to be more in tune like a piano you are going to need different scale lenghts for each open string as a start, more apropriate to each note and string gauge. The best solution to this "problem" so far is the fan fret design.

Seriously... Even Somogyi uses a x bracing pattern...

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Washburn Timeless Series Celtic Mandolin

Boss DR-01S Rhythm Partner
Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos
Bunch of boutique picks (cheap GAS cure)