View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrplyrinla View Post
I've been playing for 45 years, I never paid much attention to how the 'physics' work on guitar instruments. I went to NAMM in Anaheim this year and visited Taylors Room where the deals are made... I had no idea about V Bracing prior to picking up their Builders Edition K14ce, I just thought hmm... that's an interesting looking guitar so I picked it up and played it just as I had been doing from dozens of other manufacturers. I own a '06 - 814ce and love that guitar btw but the moment I picked this one up I knew it was something special. What I noticed is that is was much easier to play and the volume seemed to be higher even though I wasn't playing too hard because I didn't want to disrupt a meeting just two tables next to me. The chords sounded more precise and I definitely noticed the improved sustain and clarity. The feel of the neck with the rounded corners, beveled cutaway and arm rest with that 'easy to play' finish throughout contributed to the overall playability of the guitar. Two days later I have already ordered one for myself (I wasn't even remotely in the market) and will be selling my 814 to make room. I was completely blown away and I'm convinced this is going to be a huge hit for Taylor and eventually thousands of guitar players around the world will be thanking them for this.
Registered 30-01-2018
1 post
Taylor's Marketing Machine intensifies...

Now that the proper fingerstyle demos are available, which are my thing. (Any links to the x vs v comparisons yet?)
All I can say is that it still sounds like a Taylor (heard better ones before). And it is still leagues away from the latest Santa Cruz, Froggie Bottom, and Kim Walker guitar video demos released by the Music Emporium this month. Which are pretty much what I consider perfect sounding guitars for my fingerpicking taste. Each with it's own flavour of out-of-this-world greatness.

As for another consideration on Taylor claims...
"Even sustain and volume across the fretboard" - Pretty much how most people describe OM guitars. So I guess they just found out how to make any guitar sound like a guitar first build in the early 20th century.
"Better intonation up the neck" - From my understanting the "problem" of intonation on guitars come from 2 things (please correct me if I forgot something).
1-Guitars are not (usually) tuned in perfect fifths;
2-All strings even being of differents gauges and tuned to different notes, have exactly the same scale lenght. Which can bring a load of problems even with compensation at the saddle.
Changing the bracing does not change any of these things. And don't make a guitar be in tune "like a piano"(temperament, etc). All bracing can do on a properly voiced guitar is getting rid of wolf notes and inconsistencies, and the type of bracing isn't relevant, only the proper voicing of the guitar.
For a guitar to be more in tune like a piano you are going to need different scale lenghts for each open string as a start, more apropriate to each note and string gauge. The best solution to this "problem" so far is the fan fret design.

Seriously... Even Somogyi uses a x bracing pattern...