View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Default Guys, Define Portable

Aloha,

Ya know, I don't get it. Zooms, iPads & iPhones. Even for demo's. In terms of lesser quality & all those recording & feature limitations (noisy, crummy onboard mic's, little/no phantom for external mic's, cross-talk, limits on number of things you can do at a time, tiny buttons & too many tiny menu's). We all know the score with those formats. And then, you still have to take it to a computer anyway & mix & process on your DAW, right?

Isn't a Macbook Pro & Apogee Duet interface, or a Laptop PC & an RME Babyface a much better choice - with all they provide & how truly portable they are? They can do it all for a portable player/recordist, on the spot with the highest quality. And it also works in the studio.

Why does anyone consider the smaller stuff - for any reason, except maybe for practice?!? Why would anyone expect much recording quality from something you can fit in your pocket? I mean, we've all tried.

But I can fit my MacBook Pro, a Duet, a couple mic's & cables easily inside one section of a backpack..... And make a pro level recording w/ all the options that Logic Pro provides on the spot. Or process the track & share a wav. file (or even burn a CD, Ha!) if necessary on the spot. How much easier, portable, more complete - and better - is that portable signal chain than the smaller formats?

What's portable to you? What limitations are we willing to accept - even for demo's?

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 12-17-2017 at 04:04 PM.