View Single Post
Old 01-06-2021, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH View Post
Hello everyone.

Is anyone doing online concerts? I don't have enough subscribers on YouTube to use Live through my iPhone. Does the number of subs matter if I try YouTube live through a laptop?
I tried a Zoom concert recently but experienced issues with the volume dropping repeatedly. So it was difficult for the clients audience to hear me.
I'm not sure what to do to overcome that.

What is the most direct/easy way to do a "Live" show on the internet?
What type of microphone do I need for the laptop to pick up the room sound which will be vocals and guitar?
What is the best platform to use? (YouTube, FaceBook, Zoom etc).

Please help.
Thank you
JPH
Hi JPH

[EDITED IN LATER]Do you want to do something the level of Busking, Coffee-house, Open-mic, Living-room concert, or Stage concert? Each of these require different approaches and probably equipment.[EDIT-OVER]

Do you expect people to watch and interact? If they are not going to be allowed to interact, then just record it on your smart phone and post it to YouTube, or FaceBook.

I do a lot of prep for live in-person performances, including rehearsing. I'd do even more for an online event where people can 'walk out' and you don't realize they have gone.

How elaborate I'd get would depend on whether I'm playing a single song for my family on a Zoom call or a broadcast to the general public (online event). Even for family calls I ALWAYS use an external camera, USB sound interface and decent mics.

Zoom will pass your live-feed on to both FaceBook and YouTube for you.

For me, even for family calls I use my BRIO (camera), a MOTU-M2 interface and a studio mic just out of frame. If I were even doing just a single song, I'd pick a non-reflective area of our home, and use either my AKG 414 or Shure KSM-44 as my mic. The mic would likely be in-frame. For all Zoom meetings I'm in, I also use lighting so I look better.

For a serious online 'broadcast' I'd ask some questions of people from this group (like Doug Young) who are successfully doing this. And I'd make sure I could connect to my internet via Ethernet instead of WiFi (it just takes a cable run to your router).

I'd also enlist help from a VERY-computer-techcentric-friend to help run the gear (equivalent of a sound tech for online work) while I perform.

While there are software ways to connect a camera or Smart phone solutions, a medium high end web camera (like the Logitech Brio) will provide better video with less stress on your computer and without more cables and software to put strain on the computer processors for a broadcast.

It is really hard to run gear, correct volumes and play/sing, and take questions or comments…all at the same time…UNLESS YOU CAN JUGGLE 5 BALLS AT ONCE…for an hour. With a helper and second computer set up (for the assistant) while performing this becomes doable. There will be a substantial delay between what is going out and when it shows up on YouTube etc.

I'd practice singing to the room (without electronic monitors), and I'd give watchers opportunity to chat between songs probably via text or mic. Easiest way for live feedback is a second computer with it's sound piped back to the room for interaction and muted during performance.

On Zoom, Skype etc. I'm better off not depending on live-monitoring my sound in the room. I just want to interact with the crowd between songs. I'm great at singing to a room without hearing myself, especially if someone else is adjusting things for me. I still want to interact with watchers. A tech friend can help you resolve this.

I'd hold at least two 'live' rehearsals ahead of time (with the tech). I've watched too many attempts at live 'concerts' or 'events' which fall apart…and I'm quick to leave when things fall apart (as are most other viewers except our moms).

Hope this adds to the discussion.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 01-06-2021 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Had a secondary thought which I added up-front