View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 03:02 PM

Hi Carbonius,

Your story sounds similar enuf to mine that I thought I'd throw my story in the ring. I am primarily an acoustic guy but still like a good electric now and then. I've owned a lot of electrics over the years but I had sold everything I owned awhile back except for my main acoustic. Naturally it didn't last and I decided I needed one good electric guitar on hand. I ended up going thru 3 different archtops before finding my match.

I started with a The Loar LH309VS, it was my first archtop and I really liked it, until I tried a Godin 5th Ave Kingpin II. The difference acoustically was dramatic. The Godin being so much lighter and responsive, plus the P90's were better on the Godin. I sold the Loar, but before I bought the Godin, I tried a Gretsch 5420 (which I found a deal on locally, used) and although it was great fun electrically, it didn't really satisfy my acoustic needs. I sold the Gretsch and bought the Godin and haven't looked back. The Godin does what I need, it plays and feels like a real acoustic and I can plug it in and go electri-fried when needed.

If I wasn't so addicted to that acoustic resonance, the Gretsch would've won hands down.

Hope this helps.

Brett