View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

I own a Collings OM1A DB and I like it a lot. I have never taken a flat pick to this guitar; I play almost all fingerstyle; I have never had any trouble getting a good response from the red spruce top. I had the chance to compare the OM1A standard depth to the dread-depth body and both my wife and I agreed that we liked the deep body better.

As Kerbie notes above, the OM2 with rosewood has more inherent bass than the mahogany OM1. I have never had a chance to play a dread-depth OM2 but I have played standard versions and thought they sounded good. I read some stuff on the Collings forum about the dread-depth OM2 where some people thought this was a sound more like a dreadnought, while others thought there was too much bass.

I like bass and I never seem to get enough from an OM, so I suspect that I would like a deep body OM2. But in the end, it's going to be about preference. If you want an OM that sounds as much like a good dreadnought as possible, the OM2 DB might well be for you. If you are the kind of player who hungers for clarity, however, then I suspect you wouldn't like the dread-depth body.

- Glenn