View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
60Hz power line hum is half way between an A# and B. ToneDexter displays a B with the circle running fast counter clockwise. If you are in Europe then I expect it to display G or Aflat.

Power line hum is undoubtedly what it is sensing. Typically you should only see that when your guitar cable is connected to TD but not to your guitar. Edit: It seems to be normal behavior that when there are no notes played, the tuner hones in on the background hum.
I figured out just this morning that hum is the issue with my particular problem guitar. I have a pickup with compromised shielding and the very excessive bassiness of the "mixed and matched" preamp/pickup combo exaggerates 60Hz. Just as James describes, TD's tuner was often reading a 'b' instead of the string's pitch. On the plus side, TD does a great job of compensating for my rig's tonally imbalanced output signal.

I should mention that I tried TD's tuner with five different guitars this morning. I only had a problem with the rig with a hum and an overly bassy output signal.