View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsone View Post
the main points that have been made to me were firstly about cutting the neck angle join. We made up a jig to cut it on the table saw as I was having a few issues getting it accurate enough using the router. It was indeed much more accurate using the table saw.
A common method used in around here is a stationary belt sander, a method that's been used for decades.

Quote:
After doing that we had a very extended debate about why you would ever want to make a guitar with a bolt on neck design. I couldn't convince them that in some cases it's a better option than a permanently fixed glued on neck. They were having non of it.
Two words: "neck reset".

Quote:
The carpentry guys have some interesting solutions to filling gaps and holes. often involving various types of resins and similar substances. None of which have really worked out that great for me though and i'm back to CA glue and fine sawdust.
A common cabinet maker's trick is sawdust and white or yellow glue. It works very well on dark coloured woods, but not so well on light coloured woods like maple or spruce. Epoxy and saw dust also works well on dark coloured woods. CA glue is the modern version of those.

Quote:
Also installing bolt inserts by using a drill press using a bolt with 2 nuts half way up as stoppers and the insert screwed onto the end, then turning the chuck by hand as you pull the drill press down.
That's a good, fairly well-known method.

Thanks for sharing. It's always good to learn some new way to do old things.