Thread: GOAT, singular?
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 02:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Bill Russell, Wilt and Kareem are 1,2 and 3. Who I would pick depends on the surrounding cast. If I have 2 or 3 other dependable scorers then it's Bill. But his game really doesn't translate to the current style at all.

Bill Walton was the best college center I ever saw.

Is there any such thing as a center these days? I was a basketball addict for a long time, but I no longer follow the NBA, and the college game has lost much of its luster for me, too.
I’d go with that top three as well, in no particular order. If Walton’s knees has held up, he’d be right there with em even as a pro. I loved Unseld, but he was more of a scrapper and not near as good as the top three. Best outlet pass ever though!

I’m lucky enough to see Joel Embid play a lot. He’s young and still learning the game (he didn’t start playing until he was something like 18) but he’s the most exciting post player I’ve seen in a number of years, dominating in a game that’s not a center-dominated game anymore. If his body holds up and he has a long career, he might have a chance to join that elite group... Way too early to say, but on hisbest nights, he’s really something to see...