View Single Post
Old 12-22-2018, 11:18 AM

Default NGD - Emerald X7 Nylon

My Emerald X7 Nylon is here! It arrived in a box which apparently had been left out in the pouring rain for a while. The cardboard was soaking wet and softened. Had this been a wood guitar then I would have been worried. But not so with carbon fiber.

Here are some pictures:

This X7 has a scale length of 24.9" instead of the regular 24" and you can see a different weave where the neck has been extended.
The body joins at the 12th fret as usual (actually at 11.5) and this moves the bridge towards the edge of the lower bout and slightly out of the sweet spot. However, there is plenty of warmth in this guitar with a nicely balanced bass.

I was surprised to find electronics inside which I am sure I did not order. Did I pay for this or was it an unintended bonus?
Anyway, I won't be using amplification because I mostly play at home. Pure acoustically this X7 is easily as loud as my big nylon string gypsy guitar.

So how does it play? Well, to be honest, it is not the most comfortable nylon string I have played. I am used to high tension strings but now it feels like they make me work hard, despite the less than full 25.5" scale.

I would have liked to praise this guitar to the skies but the jury is still out on this one. I might use lower tension strings and sacrifice tone. Or maybe get a good setup since it feels like the bridge could be somewhat lower. Though that is always tricky with nylon strings.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089