View Single Post
Old 07-11-2016, 05:02 PM

I have regularly jammed with Scott for the past few years and have watched as he developed his picks, so I got a chance to play them all.

A bit of history on my use of picks. I started using tortex, as most people do, starting with the red .5 mm and over the years as my technique improved and I got more into playing individual notes as I pick and strum, I moved up to the purple 1.14. Tried Ultems and a number of other picks, but after I tried a Blue Chip, I could see their appeal. I bought some Wegen Bluegrass 1.4 and that became my go to pick several years ago.

Some months ago Scott "lent" me one of his natural tortoise picks (I think the 1.15). I was smitten. Though the pick has no bevel, it flat picks very nicely, but the thing I like about it most is how warm and subtle the sound is. I do not like a bright sound, so I found the pick ideal for jamming with others when I didn't want to stand out (I have a loud D18 with medium strings), but with a heavier hand it will bring up the volume. I've never played a pick like this before, warmer, softer than the Blue Chip and my Wegen. I'd say I use it 50% of the time when I want a mellower sound. It's particularly good with new strings.

Thanks for the "loan", Scott.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.