View Single Post
Old 10-21-2018, 03:06 AM

Well, it's true that adding extra body depth to an OM will give you a more pronounced bass response. However, it actually has a bit of a negative impact on the acoustic projection of the instrument.

Projection and loudness are not the same thing. What sounds louder to the person playing the guitar and perhaps those sitting within six feet won't necessarily cut through when there are other instruments being played at the same time.

I'm one of the rare players who has for years favored 14 fret Triple O's and OM's as rhythm guitars (which is what the OM model was originally designed for back when it first came out.) When I first heard of deep-bodied OM's, I was very interested, only to discover once I'd gotten my hands on a few of them that they simply don't project as well as standard depth OM's.

So it's a trade-off. When you change something like body depth it affects more than just the tone.

Or, as my father used to say, "there ain't no free lunch." If you gain in one area, another aspect might shift at the same time.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller