View Single Post
Old 01-27-2023, 05:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
John, I think he is asking about how you lighten your neck block by drilling holes.
Oh, I see, thanks Bob. I was only looking at the photos that I just posted and thinking of the fretboard extension as the the actual fretboard passed the 12thfret.

Yes, Bob is exactly right, the neck block's fretboard extension is drilled out in a honey comb fashion which keeps the strength but removes a little weight. If you look closely, there is one hole in the center near the soundhole which is slightly larger. This hole goes all the way through the neck block fretboard extension and it accepts the bolt that threads into the reinforcement block that is under the fretboard but integrated into the neck. This bolt holds the fretboard tight to the body. My bolt on neck system is great (in my opinion) that it maintains mechanical and acoustical properties, yet allows one to remove the neck in minutes to make any "maintenance" adjustments in the future very easy. My Vintage Series guitars use a dovetail neck joint along with gluing the fretboard past the 12th or 14th fret to the body. (More soon in another thread on the Vintage Series ... I have two on the bench right now.) Thanks for the interest.