View Single Post
Old 02-04-2023, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
There is a lot of stuff out there that you can work on with YouTube. I don't think asking who or what is best is going to get you anywhere. You just get aa dozen different responses. Just pick someone you like and work on it. If you like this guy, he is as good as any. I also recommend Flatpicking Essentials, which was already mentioned.

I'll just say though that these licks aren't really beginner bluegrass. Starting out strumming and walking a base line is beginner bluegrass. This kind of stuff comes later, after you can hold your own in the rhythm section. One thing I will add, and I think it has been mentioned, bluegrass is not a solo endeavor. If you want to play bluegrass, you really need to find a bluegrass jam to attend and go to some bluegrass festivals to see what people are doing and how the guitar works into it. I've found that most bluegrass jams are very informal and welcoming. It is easy to stand out in the fringes and play until you are ready to get into the mix. Don't be afraid to get out and play with other people, that's really what bluegrass is about.
Wasn't really asking who or what is best, just for some feedback on what has been beneficial to others. I've been strumming and walking baselines since forever. I like to investigate, learn, and glean what I can from other styles of playing to potentially fuse with how I play. Some of it sticks, some of it doesn't, but I like to experiment. I apologize that I didn't make it clear from the start, but I don't aspire to be a purebred bluegrass musician. At 72 I'm pretty much a petrified blues/rock/country player, but I still write, play and perform my own music and I have always enjoyed the challenge of learning something new. Helps keep my old brain young.

I've already learned a few of those licks from the link I posted. Cool stuff! After all these years it still brings a smile to my face to try something new and different and be able to do it.

Thanks to those who have made some recommendations. Much appreciated!
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman