View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 06:43 AM

When I look at an acoustic archtop made in the traditional pattern with a floating bridge, I look for the string height above the top (total bridge height, in other words) to be between 1" and maybe 1.2". That suggests to me that the neck set and angle is correct for traditional built instrument. If I see much less than that, then I look to see if the string break angle is less than ideal (for me, ideal is 14 degrees). If the bridge height is low and the break angle also low, then in my view the instrument is wrong and won't perform to optimum, since the top needs a certain amount of preload.

If the string break angle seems good and the string height is in the ballpark, then I look at the bridge. Keeping in mind that making a new bridge piece is pretty simple and non-invasive, I look at the current action at the 12th fret. If it's in the ballpark of 1/16" for the high E and 3/32" for the low E, I look at the adjustment range. I would want to see at least 1/8" of down adjustment to accommodate changes in humidity, settling of the neck joint and body, etc, and 1/4" is just fine. Small changes in action will require twice the adjustment at the bridge, as is well known, some future adjustment to neck relief might ask for a tweak to the bridge height, time will inevitably lower the bridge height as the guitar settles, so you want some adjustment.

More than you probably wanted, but asking about the bridge is the starting point only...