View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 08:31 AM

Thanks for the feedback! It appears that I have purchased my first Yairi during the peak of their popularity back in 1987 - a year before Monte Montgomery purchased his. I have taken better care of mine though!

Perhaps it is a matter of economics as has been mentioned as it appears that all guitar manufacturing (as with any manufacturing these days) is making its way to China and other developing companies where labor is cheap. I noticed that even the top of the line Alvarez Masterworks (not Yairi) are made in China. I really have a problem paying over $2K for a "Made in China" guitar!

Most of the music stores I have gone to asking about Alvarez and Alvarez-Yairi are now pushing many of the guitars mentioned - especially the Godin/Seagull brand (which do seem to be nice guitars). I picked up a Canadian made Larrivee that had an asking price of $1,500 and almost plunked down the cash and walked out with it. Takamine (Japan made, not "G Series") seems to still be a good value but I haven't picked one up that I absolutely HAD to have. If you have not yet played a Cole Clark (Australian made with a Bunya Top), you are in for a treat and they are priced quite well!

I probably will not purchase any more new Alvarez or Yairi guitars but I always have my eye out for some of these nice older models and the way things are going, looks like they will become quite collectible in the very near future!

If LOUD Technologies is not committed to Alvarez, perhaps they can sell the brand off to someone who is? Hey, Fender and Gibson made it through their respective CBS and Norlin era!

The future of Yairi will be dependent upon the legacy that K. Yairi will leave behind. I am certain that he is getting old and certainly will not be around forever. Will there be some generations following K. Yairi in the same way that the Martin Family has with C.F Martin?

Alvarez Yairi DY-45
Alvarez Yairi DY-71 Koa Graphite
Takamine Santa Fe
Ovation Celebrity
Ibanez Anhorra Recital Classic
(and lots of gadgets, acessories, and electric and bass guitars but who cares about all that right?)