View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 05:29 PM

I agree that the guitar industry has changed w/ the avent of CNC technology and Bob Taylor gets a lot of credit, (or blame, depending on your point of view), for this manufacturing revolution. You have to admit that the quality of most instruments even at the low end is quite good these days. I just hope my Taylor holds up as well as my Yairi has. I haven't had any type of adjustment or work done to the Yairi since I bought it and it finally needs a refret that I've been putting off for a while after 20 years of playing. It has developed a buzz on the B string. The second and third frets are almost down to the fingerboard. I'm only a living room picker, so it hasn't had the kind of playing hours that a gigging musician would have put on it, (although Monty Montgomery's Yairi is a pretty good advertisement for their durability). The neck is straight, the action is still low, and there are no cracks in the finish or he body. I have always kept it in the case, but I haven't babied it...it has seen it's share of drunken camping singalongs over the years.
I have a couple buddies that have been professional musicians at one time or another and they have always commented on how nice a playing and sounding instrument it is. They both love the neck...they say it feels like an electric and it is a good guitar for flatpicking and leads, (not that Ricky Scaggs is going to lose any sleep over my picking skills). I would recommend a Yairi to anyone that is looking for a durable quality instrument that is almost completly handmade...they all still have hand carved necks w/ hand fitted dovetail joints. Go on The You Tube and look up "Yairi Factory Tour" and there a couple videos showing the build process. From the video it looks more like a studio than a factory. Apparently Mr. Yairi still takes part in building some of the guitars.

1990 Yairi DY-77
2009 Taylor 414ce ltd Tazmanian Blackwood