View Single Post
Old 04-19-2022, 08:42 PM

Default Versatility of the Harp Guitar

Started this thread to encourage folks to share their thoughts about the versatility of the instrument. A couples of examples from my own expereience I can think of that highlight its versatility:

-I was just working on an multi instrumental idea with vocals that I was not originally thinking would include the HG. But I felt like, the music was missing a little something. Turns out that bass drone on beat 1 is just the ticket.

-I did a Christmas show a couple of years back where I played 5 or 6 pieces. I had only worked out half of those on harp. However, my harp has the best electronics in it of all my guitars, so I just powered through the non-HG tunes with the HG.

So I usually think of the HG for fingerestyle, but I've seen guys like Andy Wahlberg strum and play whatever he wants on it easier than a lot of pros play a six string. These things ARE versatile... infinitely more so than more common 12 strings and/or baritones. I've been at this a few years, and am still learning different ways to employ it. Based upon the mix of material I play, I'd say I'm on harp about 25% of the time. What about you all?
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc