Thread: Car hacks?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 09:55 AM

Default Car hacks?

Anyone here into the electronics hacks and many bolt on changes available to some modern vehicle platforms?

I'm aware this can be a very deep rabbit hole but I'm tempted to step in. The VW we got in May already has some of VAG's best parts. A few simple tweaks would be nice or fun. I know a tank of 93 octane and blowing on the fire some more is a slight difference but a "tune" and few mechanical items can be a huge difference.

This also interests me because I recall the time I needed more than internet searches to really know what a fault code meant when my last car got fairly old. Thing is, Carly adapter that is for lots of cars doesn't seem to do as much or much at all as getting ones that specialize by brand.

There's more interest because for example, my wife paid the dealer $100 to in essence learn the kids didn't tighten the gas cap.

Warranty is another concern. The new car has a 6/72 warranty. I would not have have an expensive claim denied.

Yet another rabbit hole is the Mini Cooper S convertible in our garage. It's my mother's car she's shared but she'll be 90 years old and is thinking of selling it. Most of the time I don't like the Minis but my recently getting a 6 speed turbocharged VW might mean I've plunged into the same realm. The Mini convertible is fun at times.

Yes, totally first world problems. We've sold the Camry still leaving 4 vehicles here, there's nothing practical about the Mini Cooper S convertible, and it would not have the safety as a mod platform like the VW.

The retro grouches here can't be too mad at me. I have teens who know how to shift gears, do some auto mechanic stuff, use a multimeter, and one just did a nice job of fiberglass and trailer repair for the sailboat.

My biggest fear of all is my love of working at stuff is quick to take away time I use for physical fitness. More into cars usually means one more notch in the belt, less guitar time.