View Single Post
Old 11-24-2016, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Going in, I thought I would prefer crossovers, since I'm an electric blues guitar player. After playing the crossovers alongside the 50mm-52mm flat-radius flamencos (GK Studio) and classicals (C7), I discovered that when it comes to nylons I prefer the wider 50-52mm nut width and flat radius.
You and I both, although my playing background is different than yours. I think it's just further verification in my mind that when it comes to either nylon or steel, it's not uncommon to have divergent tastes when it comes to specs. So, trust your instincts there.
I have a custom Cervantes hybrid "Crossover II" guitar, which does feature a flat fretboard radius and appr. 51mm nut width, along with a cutaway. So it fits a similar viewpoint that you're sharing in this regard and which is one of the reasons I went for it. I'm not sure where these fall price wise in standard versions, but his Crossover 1 models are close to your budget range, albeit on the high side.
Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the models you're looking at so I can't provide any insights. I just wanted to post to let you know to stick to your guns as far as what you feel are good specs for you.
As far as the Pavan line goes, I wasn't aware of a TP-30 with a cutaway, only the TP-20-AC. With a price point of slightly under $1500. it would also seem to meet your budget, and it is also offered with cedar top.
I wouldn't give up on those just yet. These are factory built models in Spain but the builder in charge is US based Thomas Prisloe.
A check of his website revealed the following co-ordinates where he can be reached:
"To discuss ordering a guitar contact me at:
607-387-3875"
or e-mail** [email protected]
(Might be worth a call)
Other than that, I wish you luck in your search for a good sounding nylon with your ideal specs.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann