View Single Post
Old 11-23-2016, 01:37 PM

Default Thoughts, experiences, and opinions requested...

I've been looking at nylon cutaways for a decent while now, and have my choice narrowed down to two guitars: the Cordoba GK Pro Negra, and Takamine TH5C. I was originally looking at the lower-end Cordobas and Yamahas but discovered after playing them that I don't prefer the 48mm nut and radiused fingerboards. I surprised myself by preferring the 50-52mm nuts and flat fretboards of the GKs and conventional classicals. Also, at this price-point I want all solid woods.

Full disclosure: I would also include the Pavan TP-30 with a cutaway, and the Ramirez 4NCWE. The issue with the Pavan is I'm not sure the guy is still doing business. He neither answers calls/e-mails nor returns them, and I've read where this has been the case for many years now. The issue with the Ramirez is it's just too expensive, and I never see them show up on the used market.

I'm trying to keep this in the $1500 range, which is right in line with the Cordoba and Takamine.

As far as I can tell, here are the pros and cons of each guitar...

Cordoba GK Pro Negra

Pros: Every time I go to my local guitar stores and try the various low-end nylons, the Cordobas always sound the best. I've never seen a GK Pro in person, however, but they're supposed to be built better and sound fractionally better than their laminate-body GK Studio brothers. In particular, the Pro Negra is supposed to sound really good. Also, I like the Pro's neck heel design.

Cons: China-built on a $1500 guitar, no built-in tuner, no tap plates (strange, since the cheaper GK Studios have them), a so-so rosette design (just my opinion), and I think I prefer a cedar top to spruce.

Takamine TH5C

Pros: Hand-built in Takamine's Japanese "Pro" Hirade facility, so there's that extra bit of pride of ownership; cedar top; built-in tuner included with the "Cool Tube 3" preamp; more stylish rosette design.

Cons: Supposedly the preamp is very heavy, and the instrument may not have the lively unplugged tone of the Cordoba. Some people feel it may be overbuilt.

I really don't know, never having played either guitar. My primary concern is the unplugged sound, which is the main reason I dumped the Yamahas from my list. For all I know, I may never play amplified again.

Any input regarding these two guitars (including their resale values) would be greatly appreciated, especially comparative info!