View Single Post
Old 11-22-2015, 11:59 AM

Default Yamaha NTX1200R vs Takamine TC135SC

Besides the Takamine's extra frets and "cool tube" technology, are there any other major differences? Specifically, does the Takamine have a deeper (thicker) body?

I'm trying to understand why the Takamine's street price is so much higher than the Yamaha's ($1699 vs $999)? Japan vs China build, perhaps? (I read somewhere that the Yamaha is built in China.)

I'm coming from the world of electric guitars, so I want a 14-fret nylon crossover with the narrower nut. I think I have it down to these two guitars, though I'm still considering the much slimmer Carvin CL450. I had one of those years ago and know that it's the most similar to playing a Stratocaster. I also know that with its super-thin body it doesn't sound that great unplugged, and the unplugged sound is my primary concern. I doubt I will ever play my acoustic through an amp so I don't really care about the electronics.

Speaking of the Carvin's thin body, is there any difference in body thickness between the Takamine TC135SC and TC132SC? I know the more traditional 132 has a wider nut and fewer frets, but are the bodies otherwise the same?