View Single Post
Old 06-30-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
Glass cooktops are also replaceable, and my wife and I did so when ours wore and pitted enough to merit it (though for aesthetic reasons only - it still worked fine and had no cracks).
You probably paid a hefty price for that. We have an embedded vitro-ceramic ("glass") hot plate that cracked when a smallish plastic (!) empty (!!) storage container fell out of a cupboard. This was a budget cooktop; the glass would have cost more than half the price of an entire new cooktop.

I'm not certain to what extent these are actually certamic, or rather indeed something between glass and ceramic as their French name suggests. It does appear to be much more scratch resistant than regular glass.

I have Lodge skillets that don't cause any scratching, my Staub c.i. cookware with its enameled underside even less. But you'll want to pose all pots and pans delicately.

An aunt of mine figured out a perfect trick to prevent the need for intensive cleaning: she put pages out of an old newspaper under her pans. Of course she had an induction cooktop; I wouldn't do that with a regular radiant/halogen cooktop. But there must be comparably thin things that are heat resistant and don't let spills reach the glass (teflon lining for baking, maybe?)

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)