View Single Post
Old 06-02-2019, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

This is how I got much better recordings at home and its about as simple as you can get without resorting to a phone or cassette recorder:

1. Zoom H5 and two AT2035 to record in a 22x18 room in front of a large sectional couch with big cushions to absorb reflections.

2. I learned where to put the mics and how much gain to use to minimize the room noise. Sometimes I goof and forget what I learned but most of the time I get it right.

3. I bought Izotope's Rx 7 Elements which is a great tool to clean up audio files. I think this is an essential tool.

4. I bought Ozone 8 for eq'ing. This is an extra, Audition probably has many of the same features, but Ozone 8 lets you use a reference file for eq matching which helps a beginner like me.

5. I subscribed to the new Adobe Audition and learned how to use it at a rudimentary level.

The most recent results are the tunes in my signature - The Foggy Dew came out hotter than the rest so watch your volume.

I may treat myself to a pair of Rode NT-1 mics which have very low self noise, almost half of the AT2035, but other than that I'm done I think with gear for sometime.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}: