View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 11:23 PM

Congrats on the Larrivee purchase, David! Reading your posts has been almost a bit eerie for me, because you are sort of my Doppelgänger. I, too, recently took up the guitar, and I am also a longtime saxophonist (I still have my wonderful old 1959 R13 that I bought from an old teacher of mine, but I've pretty much given up the misery stick). Also, I recently purchased a Larrivee. For the past few months I have stopped into dozens of guitar stores and tried out I don't know how many guitars. I had read somewhere that it's a good idea to try out a zillion of them to get an idea of what I like. Also like you, I listened to a jillion youtube videos, including a ton of Tony Polecastro's vids. I really like the Martin 000-15M a lot, and I almost bought a Martin 00017, but as soon as I tried a Larrivee OM-40 (sitka spruce top with mahogany back and sides) it just spoke to me. I've had it for a couple of weeks now, and I could not be happier with it. What a beautiful sound. Smaller than a dreadnought, but has a nice bottom to it, and also a nice shimmer up high, and it is great for fingerpicking. I need to figure out how to sound less jangly when strumming (different strings? different pick? better technique?), but I imagine I'll figure that out eventually.

Anyway, I just wanted to reassure you that you made a great call with the Larrivee. The one I got is absolutely stunning, and I am thrilled with it. Elsewhere on this forum I have noted that guitar players with far more experience than I'll ever have have said that Larrivees are remarkably consistent, so it appears you need not worry about getting one through the mail.

By the way, I have had the pleasure of playing in Maine (saxophone, not guitar!), and I loved it there! One of my favorite states. I look forward to reading of your experiences with the new "horn"!