View Single Post
Old 11-05-2015, 11:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

About eighteen months ago, Cook Woods in Klamath Falls OR, one of my first-call exotic wood dealers, ran a special on this Southeast Asian wood I'd never heard of- Pyinma. I thought it would be great for bindings, purflings, inlay... so I bought a board. Since then, I've used it as a decorative embellishment on about eight guitars.

That one board I bought is getting pretty skinny. I think I'll need to buy another. The silvery-tan color and vivid 3-D flame goes with just about any other wood you'd want to use on a guitar- dark woods, light woods... And Cook Woods even offers full-size back and side sets of this wood from time to time. The board I have rings like a marimba bar when you rap on it; I suspect it would have similar characteristics to SE Asian ebonies if you used it for back and sides.

On the Spirit guitar, we'll be using Pyinma for the soundboard purflings, side and back purflings, and also on the fingerboard and headstock. When I sent the back to Kevin a couple days ago, I enclosed a nice Pyinma fillet, so he can use it in his inlay work also.

If anyone is curious about this wood, here's a link to the Wood Database.