View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
For me there absolutely is. I've seen an exception or two, but generally a strummed Martin D in a situation where I can't isolate it is a nightmare. It's astonishing to me how one of those can sound so great in my lap, yet so boomy on-mic if I can't get at least 4 feet or so away.

And FWIW, upright basses aren't necessarily easy. They're even more individual and quirky than guitars are, most players can't or [B]won't keep them in one spot while they play, and the best spot to place a mic might be exactly where the player will hit it with the bow you didn't know they were going to use.
FWIW I think many acoustic instruments are a bit difficult to record well. And the OP was our asking for our personal experiences . Which I am guessing are all over the map.
Given the situations you list above, I would guess
"the vast amount of possible variables in recording." is still at play.

Interestingly enough (and while I personally have not recorded a Martin D), but in the month +, I spent visiting studio's in Nashville, the D 28 was what I saw most often being used for recording acoustic guitar parts.
No doubt everybody's mileage will vary ...which was kinda my point..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-21-2019 at 07:55 AM.