View Single Post
Old 03-17-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4life7 View Post
I think certain performers and performances elevate above the guitar playing and sometimes above the vocal.

For instance, I saw Sarah Jarosz perform at Wintergrass solo. And her performace (the total performance) was one of the most mesmerizing I have ever seen. This is not a knock on her guitar/octave mandolin/banjo playing because she is really good at all three. But, it wasn't about her playing. It wasn't about her technical proficiency. I can play all three of those instruments so I of all people would be hyperfocused on her technical playing, but it wasn't about that. She wasn't there to show off, to blow people away with her picking (which I know she could have).

At the end of the day, it was about the song. And her songs, her covers, her playing was perfect. Her playing was always complimentary of the song, the melody, and the vocal. That is what I aspire to. I have only seen a few performers pull it off.
Exactly. What makes a great performer and a great performance is not necessarily perfect or intricate technique nor even a magnificent (by conventional standards) voice. It’s a combination of material (whether original or interpreted), attitude, confidence and rapport with the audience. Some singers are famous for their voices, some for what they can do with the not-so-perfect instrument they were dealt (Sinead O’Connor), some for what they can do in general despite very limited technical vocal quality (Dylan, Van Ronk). And some performers are triple threats (Goodman--who also was a great entertainer) while others are renowned for their instrumental technique alone. Viva variety!

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.

Last edited by Chicago Sandy; 03-17-2015 at 03:30 PM.