View Single Post
Old 03-17-2015, 11:15 AM

Default John Denver Made it Easy

Hi Folks,

I watched the 1982 performance of John Denver at the Apollo Theater in London last night. For those not familiar, it was a tour where we was alone on stage with two guitars: a six string (Yamaha LL Custom) and 12 string (Guild F612) guitar. I'm pretty sure about the guitars. He played about 22 songs.

The thing that impressed me, beyond his typical easy stage presence and great voice, was how confidently he played the guitar. Now, his playing style varies from strumming to finger picking and in between. Some would call it simple playing and easy arrangements. And, by the standards set today by guitarists, it probably is. However, I found myself not caring one bit. He played with such presence and confidence that even the simple accompaniment was powerful.

There are plenty of other artists who would fit into this category, too. And, it got me thinking. Why am I making this so difficult? I played guitar and backed up myself and other singers, played in groups, bands, worship groups, and never once concerned myself with guitar "technique." When did strumming and simple guitar become so pas se?

Frankly, I'd be happy to produce music at the level of John Denver.