View Single Post
Old 07-29-2021, 07:49 AM

Way back when I was starting off I was advised if I wanted to fingerpick to go with a smaller body guitar because it sits lower in your lap so your right hand comes at the guitar from a different and more comfortable angle. I guess you could have filed that under the "Conventional Wisdom" heading at least at the time. Problem was a guy in my first band played a Harmony Sovereign. I sure did like that guitar and I seemed to have no problem fingerpicking it.

These days when it comes to dreds or jumbos I tend to grab my Banner Gibson J50 or Fairbanks Smeck. Being the lazy sort, if I am sitting in a room where my wife's Gibson J200 happens to be I will reach for it. And yeah, I still play a Harmony Sovereign.

Based on the guitars in the house though when playing with bare fingers the best I got is 1932 Gibson L1. The notes just leap off the strings. Then again this guitar clocks it at only 2 3/4 pounds. When playing with just my fingers it does take a bit more work to pull the music out of a big bottom guitar. But in the end no matter what guitar I am playing I just sound like me.