View Single Post
Old 03-05-2020, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi J Patrick

What are you using for a preamp to play your K&K equipped guitars through? And is your main use amps or PA systems?

There is certainly no harm in asking curious questions about one's experiences. And different results doesn't have to disqualify your experience.

With any pickup system the guitar it's plugged into, the preamp it's boosted by, the amp or PA that are reproducing the sound, and the venue it's being played in all affect the quality of the output/results.

Also how heavy your touch is a factor as well. Whether you are primarily a heavy strummer or quiet fingerstyle player or a mixture somewhere in between also affects how well internal pickups perform for people.

There are a lot of variables when it comes to guitars and their pickup systems.

....I have used my K&K equipped guitars through many preamps and many sound systems over the years ...my initial main setup nearly twenty years ago was a Raven Labs PMB into a Mackie 808S with Mackie 12 inch Speakers....in truth I can’t say that any thing I’ve used since those early days has been substantially better....but i have bought and used many of the usual preamps...Baggs...Fishman...Red Eye....DTar...Tonedexter...Headway....etc....and I have played through rigs as simple as an SWR Cali Blonde and large festival systems that cost tens of thousands of dollars...

...my playing touch varies...I have played hard hitting bluegrass and light open fingerstyle stuff....my experience is that K&K’s do not sound their best with a heavy hand and excel at moderate to light fingerstyle playing which is what I mostly play these days....

...I will add that I was a professional sound tech for a while...I gave it up about 6 or 7 years ago when my hearing started deteriorating...my specialty was acoustic music and I was affiliated with a major folk festival and mixed many different setups over the years...I found that seasoned pros pretty much had their gear and sound dialed in no matter what setup they were using....the bottom line is knowing how to get the best out of what you have....as always...there is no substitute for experience...