View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I have not gotten to the point where I want to divest myself of most of my stuff. I don't consider it a burden; it's a comfort to me and to my wife, too.
I definitely understand this. I've felt this way too. Everyone is different and there's no "right and wrong" to the issue.

When I had lots of things, I enjoyed feeling surrounded by them...nice things to look at, a plethora of books to read, albums to spin, movies to watch, hobby equipment and collections.

It is familiar and comfortable/comforting.

My best friend grew up with nothing. Poor as dirt. To this day he works on his own cars and mechanical equipment, builds a lot of his own furniture and house additions and so on.

He has SO much stuff--instruments of all kinds, art, books, music, movies...he engages seriously in several hobbies...has just an enormous amount of possessions. But he and his wife really enjoy it. Their house is full but well laid out. Looks almost like a museum or a very well organized antique shop or flea market.

He told me once he can never get bored and has so many things to turn to without ever leaving his house. I totally get that.

Plus, it's nice for him that after growing up with nothing and having very little even into his early 30s he can now purchase and enjoy most anything he wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
You're not leaving our beautiful neck of the woods are you?
I really like Nacogdoches. In fact, it's where my friend I mentioned above lives. Very interesting place with a unique history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
Yes. My kids and grandkids live in the north Austin area. We have found a neighborhood being built in Temple and are going to have a house built in which to retire!
I was born in Austin and have also lived in other regions of Texas. I've spent most of my life in other states and haven't lived in Texas for many years, but I'll always consider myself a Texas boy.

Temple is very nice. My father lived in Marble Falls for a while after he retired.

I also love New Braunfels and San Antonio. But East Texas has some wonderful towns too.

Good luck on your move. It will be nice for you to be closer to your kids and grandkids!

- John Shedd