View Single Post
Old 02-27-2017, 07:44 AM

Default Dave's compact PA system adventures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotValid View Post
The Adventures of GAS part III.

As soon as I wrote the message above my wife looked at me and said "Your not ordering anything are you? You just got a guitar thingy for 400 bucks"

Well ****, there went my strategy riiiight out the window.

Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer, back to the drawing board/ Wifejitsu gym.

To be continued........

It is wise to retreat and fight another day.

In the meantime, my gas is subsiding. Getting the low volume thing figured out above was a big $ saver.

The more research I do, it becomes obvious that finding a portable line array system that includes the sound quality, and features I've gotten used to, is an expensive proposition. There are plenty of good little line array reinforcement options, at a modest price, but none contain the features I already have in the Line 6 mixer.

In a pinch, I can sum the TC PA pedal to mono and send it to the line input on the back of the unit, and reserve the two full channels for another singer/guitarist. And the 10" woofer and amp are sufficient for that. The only thing it lacks is the line array, which is more of a "nice to have" feature for my present needs.

I hope Line 6 releases a line array version of this system. I suggested so via there feedback forum. One can hope.

Using a good sounding budget line array (less than $1000) requires lugging my Yamaha MG10XU mixer, plus stand and cables. For solo work, that is a lot of extra stuff. I could maybe get away with the TC PA acting as a sub mixer, but that makes on the fly changes difficult.

OpenRoadMatt and I were discussing his similar conclusion via PM. If I was a duo or trio, and had loading/unloading and setup help, I probably wouldn't mind. Like Matt, I think the JBL Eon One is the best sounding budget option I've been able to test in retail stores. What it lacks in comparison to the Line 6 product is chorus effect, 3 band EQ with mid sweep, acoustic resonance modeling, DSP, and automatic feedback suppression. Note, the feedback suppression is pretty incredible. Now, if you need a one hand carry line array system for less than $1000, all the features above can be added to the JBL with an outboard device or two and you're in business. For instance, the dbx goRack adds a lot of functionality to a budget line array system or a set of powered speakers.

As it stands, I have enough gear to perform and rehearse. Finding an elegant solution, moderately priced, that includes everything in one box, is very much a trip down the rabbit hole, as Ken so appropriately put it.

Ultimately, I'd be looking at a Bose L1 II/T1/B2 with the goodies. That's a $3,000 system! Or the Lucas Nano 608i with some sort of gorack through the aux feed. If I made my living playing, maybe I'd consider it.

Good luck with your Wifejitsu and your GAS dissipation! Let this post be the rain you need for your parade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by martingitdave; 02-27-2017 at 08:34 AM.