Thread: 1924 Martin
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Definitely get another opinion from a qualified repair person. "Restoration" probably includes expensive refinishing and cosmetic work. You mostly want it to be playable and stable, which might require a neck reset, regluing the bridge or braces, and similar work which will be much less expensive.

I suspect you mean a high Hawaiian "steel" set up, aka slide playing. Slack key is a Hawaiian playing style, notable for fingerpicking, alternating bass, certain phrasings, and alternate tunings. I play slack key style and other fingerpicking on all of my guitars - with normal finger style setups.
Correct--Hawaiian slide, which is the style her father played. The guitar was originally meant for gut strings, so converting it to steel strings really did a number on the neck and bridge. So a neck reset and complete bridge rebuild are the most significant repairs. There are a couple of cracks, fairly minor considering the age, but that would need to be addressed. I will recommend she get a second opinion, but she is not in a position to have the restoration done herself. She's going to talk to her son who doesn't play but is in a position to have it done and then possibly pass it down to the grandson. He plays electric, but carries his grandfather's middle name, so it makes sense for him to have it, even if he just hangs it on a wall. At least they will know it has more than just sentimental value.

On another note, I mentioned to her that it would be interesting to know if there are any recordings of her father playing so she talked to her uncle and he said he has a tape! So that will be something special to add to the heirloom.
1998 Alvarez-Yairi DY38c
2012 Kentucky KM-150 Mandolin