View Single Post
Old 11-01-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
There shouldn't be a significant tone difference with a thin steel shim. However, I stick to wooden shims - ebony, rosewood, or maple (left-overs from my purfling stock).
I see the logic in that, Ned. If the bridge is ebony and the shim is ebony (and the mating surfaces of each component are flat and level) I guess the sound transmission should not be uninterrupted at all. I have no "purfling scraps" or anything of the kind. If I did, I'd use them instead of the metal. Thanks for the insight.

Quote:
As long as the material isn't soft and spongy (thus absorbing or damping some of the vibration before it gets to the bridge), then there shouldn't be an issue...
Another helpful general concept. Harder = better.

Quote:
The only concern could be with a very thick steel shim, by increasing the mass of the saddle, you will get a slightly different sound. Again, with any standard shim size (up to 1mm), I can't imagine much audible sound difference. Usually, sound difference due to mass won't be heard unless the saddle is changed from bone to brass, for example.
1mm = .039". If I get into trouble, it will probably be in the range of maybe 1/3 that thickness, so your advice is 'music to my ears'. Hopefully I won't need to shim at all. Just knowing I have recourse using materials already on hand gives me the confidence to go ahead lower the action a bit more.