Thread: Changing chords
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 11:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorGirl2008 View Post
...I've been working on chord changes while using a metronome and that is going well. I think the next step is to change chords while doing some exercises (I'm trying to learn fingerstyle). When I try, I'm all thumbs. My next guitar lesson isn't until Oct. 5 so I'll talk to my teacher then about a good way to go about this, but if anyone has any ideas, advice, etc. I'd appreciate it. I'm sure there is a way to go about this, recommended approaches, etc. Thanks!
Hi TG...
An exercise I assign with beginners is in 4/4 time to play/strum a pair of chords back and forth till it's second nature before moving on to a different chord combination. If you focus on only two chords back-n-forth, and work them into the brain, you will remember them better.

The exercise itself is to play each chord as two quarter notes then a half note, and to switch to the new chord during the half note (borrow the time from the half note to switch)...so it falls into a steady rhythm of:
Strum, Strum, Strum-switch, Strum, Strum, Strum-switch, etc... It's important to keep the beat - which the metronome will help you with so you don't cheat the length of the half note (2 full counts).

As you become more proficient and efficient with the changes, you can stretch the length of time you hold the chord on the half note before switching to keep it in time with the music.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…