View Single Post
Old 03-06-2015, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Default #69

Hey Guys - Happy Halcyon owner, and considering sending a reserve deposit for a second. My build thread is here.

My OM is Lutz/Primavera, and it is definitely the best playing guitar I have, and most of mine are professionally set up. The only one that comes close is the SCGC, and that is after a recent set up with new bridge. Amazing how fast I can zip around the neck, and it's the only neck that plays like it's capo'd right below my fret hand, no matter where on the neck I am. Tone is even across the board with a bias on the high end without getting chimey (some might call this a modern guitar sound), but a solid thump bass. For the second one, I'm going to talk to Ed about the same playing dynamics with a more traditional tone (nothing specific — not really Gibson or Martin, but a bit beefier).

I think the only thing I would have done differently is a K&K pickup, because the two I have are easier to control (for me) than the Schatten pickup I tried here. However, I am about to do some recording and that experience may change my mind on the Schatten. Also, I was on the fence about 14 vs. 12 fret, and I could go either way again … I am partial to 12-frets.

Look forward to watching your build. What is Ed's build time now … or, did you get an ETA? (I'm sure Ed will show up here soon:-)

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Last edited by pjroberts; 03-06-2015 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Added build thread URL