View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
The Shorty was just OK for me, I liked it more for it's CF advantages than the tone, remember I play with a pick, not to step on any toes, but tone wise the Shorty falls way short of the X7 V2 to my ears. I am speaking only of unplugged acoustic sound, the Shorty sounded really good plugged into a Fishman amp. I'm sure you remember that I had some issues with the X7's tone when I got it. I was disappointed. After the changes I did, I am now surprised at how good it sounds. If this is normal or just me, I'm not sure. It seems to be an anomaly when reading others reviews.
I think I liked the tone of the Shorty more than you did. It was really good but did have that mid range "honk" that Methos talks about. The OF660 doesn't suffer from that nearly as much- much more scooped in the mids....just quiet. I'm not doubting what you are hearing and that the bone saddle really helped your X7 along, bone is superior in tone for every guitar I've every used/heard it on and I've swapped on RainSong, Breedlove, and Martins. I also really dislike USTs regardless of manufacturer. If I got an X7 it would not have a pickup in it and I would definately install a bone saddle.