View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Play inversions up the neck? Lean same chords barre style in the E and A form?

I'm no expert but learning barre chords in the E and A forms were a boost to my fun when I returned to playing. The Randy's site has a good graphic to save and print.
Thanks will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhancox View Post
I've been playing for over 30 yrs. I learned a bunch of the open chords and a ton of songs in my first year or two. Never took any lessons, just slowly learned new things as I continued to explore the guitar over the years.

I would also suggest to learn to play those same open chords in their various forms up and down the fretboard. You'll be amazed at what else you can play and you haven't really learned any "new" chords.

Check out YouTube for some instructional videos. Sometimes just a little tidbit of information will open up a world of possibilities.

Lessons are good too, but I must say, if you're not motivated enough on your own to play guitar, maybe it's time to take up another activity. Just sayin'.
Good tips will try doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
I find it impossible to pursue learning a musical instrument for more than a few days or weeks without being able to play some kind of song. If you can put together something musical from the chords you know, then pick a tune and go for it. If not, then I suppose some rudimentary fingerstyle might be in order but I wouldn't go off and "learn the fingerpicking style" in lieu of learning a couple tunes.

Do whatever you think you can do to start making music.
Thanks good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevGeo View Post
Okay, now you know how to finger your open chords and change between any of them in beat, right? Great! Now learn a bunch of songs using them to learn how chord progressions work.
I totally agree with Mister Zeus as far as getting an instructor.
If you don't want to go to a teacher I really, really, really recommend you check out Stefan Grossman's stuff if you want to learn how to play acoustic blues. A great place to start is his 'Fingerpicking Guitar Techniques', available as either a DVD or book/CD set. Personally I like the book/CD format because he goes really slowly, one bar or phrase at a time - "Put your index finger on the first string at the 3rd fret, now your middle finger on the second string at the first fret.." etc. He makes it as easy as possible.
Others really like the DVD format since they can see what the instructor is doing.
One thing cool about learning this way is that you can take it at your own pace. You can go back to any part of the lesson a gazillion times if you need to and the instructor never gets pissed.

You've worked really hard to get your skills to where they are today. Now is the time to take advantage of all the really great instruction available on line and in CD and DVD form. Or from a live teacher.

I can only speak for myself, but - after 40+ years of playing guitar - if I could do it all over again I would definitely get all the instruction I could. I spent years and years figuring out how things really worked and wasted a lot of time when I could have had the answers to my questions if I had just known who to ask, or went to the trouble to find someone to show me.
Nowadays beginners and intermediate players have fabulous opportunities to learn from world-class players in whatever style or genre interests them.

Daza, if you really want to learn how to play acoustic blues the right way do yourself a favor and and sashay over to www.guitarvideos.com and spend some time getting familiar with the stuff available. You won't regret it.
And, no, I don't work for Grossman. He sure has worked for me....

Rev George
Thank you appreciate all that your've said and I will get some DVD's and check out that web-site too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLSPRIG View Post
In the interim, try lifting certain fingers off the chords you know. If its an A chord, lift off the G string. If its an E chord, lift off the D string. You might discover your passion (the blues) opens up new windows when you try this. A lot of blues chords are constructed in this manner.
Yeah true that just like A7 and E7 nice bluesy chords.