View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
The original question has been more than answered, but I wanted to add an observation.

My kid goes to an arts grade school (and next year, high school) that includes a music department divided into classical and jazz. He's in the latter. What I've noticed in his 3 years there is that most of the young jazz guitarists - and all of the advanced players - are playing solid-bodies. My kid plays a Tele for the jazzier sets, and a Strat for the funkier.

Of course choice of instrument always comes down to personal preference. As does definition of “jazz,” to some extent. But assuming these kids represent the majority of young players; if hollow-bodied archtops are the predominant jazz guitars, they won’t be for much longer.
Teles have been a go-to solidbody for jazz for a while now. THey're probably the perfect university instrument.

If you look at the "who's who" among young jazz players who are actually out gigging right now, you'll see a bit of everything, including solid bodies, hollows, and semi hollows. The hollows definitely seem to be trending smaller, though. Jazz, for better or worse, is louder than it's been in a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz