Thread: Memorizing
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2021, 05:24 PM

OP, I feel your pain. I'm trying to keep two sets of fingerstyle songs worked up, as I'd like to gig them as soon as we can. I try to run through them daily, but that doesn't always happen. Most days it does. I do make sure to go through the really tough ones daily. Bohemian Rapsody, for instance. Problem with that stuff is you forget one turnaround and it's really difficult to get the rest of the song back on track.

My normal practice routine is a short warm up, run the sets then on to learning new material. I can do that in about 1.5 hours. If I have time during the rest of the day, I'll do short stints with the new stuff I'm trying to learn, but I find that after a while, it's not very helpful because there is only so much I'm able to retain in a day.

I feel a little envious of those guys who have a big, thick song book with lyrics and cowboy chords and can go months without having to play stuff and can do a 4 hour gig without repeating anything. I don't see that happening with my fingerstyle arrangements any time soon.