View Single Post
Old 12-25-2020, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Default Now about the tone...

As a disclaimer, I find describing tone to be a challenging exercise. Plus, I will refrain myself from an extended review so to avoid being overly bias after having the guitar for only 24h.

What really surprised me at first was the guitar's resonance and responsiveness. I have a rather light touch and the relative volume to the attack is quite impressive. I am still getting "in tune" with the instrument, and I almost had to adjust my playing to temper the crazy bass response and overtones during some pieces in alternated tunings (example in the second video). It's the first time I get to play Somogyi inspired instrument and I now understand their legendary appeal. I am only scratching the surface so I won't go further for now, but more to come soon.

I really appreciate when I can hear the guitar at the end of a build thread so I am sharing a couple of videos. These are Iphone recordings, so please excuse their rather "raw" aspect. Still, I think you can identify the guitar qualities and I wanted something transparent (eg. without reverb or EQ). I bought mics a month ago and I now have a great opportunity to learn how to use them. Tom will be releasing the introduction video soon alongside Will's (impeccable) playing and recording. At least you get 2 very opposite listening experiences

First is a short version of Bron yr aur I sent to Tom only an hour after receiving the guitar. You can feel the excitement in that awkward introduction:

Last edited by Vaillant75; 12-25-2020 at 05:44 PM.