View Single Post
Old 05-31-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Try several different fretted notes in different parts of the neck. Is it only in certain places? Only certain strings or certain frets?
Does it occur when you play softly, or only loud (i.e., making the string move more)? Does it occur even when you're sure you're fretting firmly (right up behind the fret)?

Some buzzing can be nothing to do with how you're fretting - it could be a loose tuner, or (if you have a pickup) a loose control knob, or object inside the guitar. (Worst case scenario - and I have encountered it once or twice with the cheapest beginner guitars - is an internal brace that's become unstuck.)

My guess - as you're a beginner and finding it easy to play! - is that it's caused by the action being too low. The usual beginner experience is that guitar playing is physically tough, often because the action is too high, but even when the action is optimal. But either way, a set-up will fix it. If it turns out your action is too low, you'll find the guitar will be a little harder to play, but you won't get the buzzing.

One other (more remote) possibility is that your strings are too loose or too light. Is it properly tuned to EADGBE?
So far I have learned three notes on the first string, and three more on the second string. Will have to just play around to see if I can answer any of the questions in your first paragraph. The buzzing does not happen all the time, but your questions might provide some direction.

The tuners seem to be fine. There is no pickup, but something does rattle around inside the body. When I flip the instrument around, it sounds like a ball of construction debris bouncing around in the body. Tried to shake it out, but so far, no luck.

A digital tuner is used to tune my mountain dulcimer, so I am sure the guitar is tuned correctly.