View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrake View Post
Wow, I didn't expect this old thread of mine to resurface. Anyway, the follow-up to my situation is good. I did ship the guitar to the nearest Martin certified repair shop, Guitar Tex in San Antonio, Texas. They did a great job, took a couple of weeks and was only out the cost of shipping. The guitar looks fantastic, you can't even tell where the separation was or what was repaired. Back to my original post, the tech who did the work did tell me that he had recently seen a lot of Martin guitars with binding separation issues. I think when I originally called and told him of my problem, he said he currently had 8 Martin guitars with bindings in the shop to fix. I don't know if it is a shrinkage problem with the binding material or a defect with the glue, as Mirwa has suggested, but it did disappoint me. Anyway, the guitar is home now, good as new, and still cherished. No hard feelings.

I'm glad your guitar is fixed. Obviously, Martin STILL makes great guitars and like Wade (from 8 months ago) pointed out, there can be a little of mob mentality bashing Martin and longing for the "good old days".

Unrelated, but I wanted to tell a great story:

Back in the 1970's, we had a great music store (Reliable Music) here in Charlotte. It was a big place (probably 5,000 square feet)...long before GC, Sam Ash, etc...

Anyhow, I was in the luthier's shop in the store and he had a "lawsuit" Takamine that had a crushed top from shipping (I know there was no lawsuit). These Taks had a Martin style headstock with "Takamine and Co" in the gold stylized font like a Martin so 15 feet away, you couldn't tell them apart. Anyhow, the luthier says "Watch this" and walks out of his little shop and onto the main sales floor, and in a LOUD voice screams: "I am SO sick of Martin's poor quality" and El Kabong's the guitar into pieces in front of everyone...you could hear a pin drop and we held it together for about 10 seconds and then lost it...a classic moment.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-23-2020 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Please refrain from profanity