View Single Post
Old 02-21-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof_Stack View Post
The Godin 5th avenue is a decent and cheap used guitar these days. Put 13's on it and use a thick pick and perhaps raise the string height via the bridge adjusters.
What's the definition of thick? I should also ask about material. I tried 3mm picks that I thought were horrible. They were hard and brittle feeling picks. Currently my favorite is a 1.5mm Dunlop PrimeTone Triangle Pick for my "jazz" guitar and it works well for my other guitars. It may be the material, but the 3mm plastic picks and another 2mm TUSQ pick I recently tried takes away all those velvet tones I can get with the 1.5mm.

The trick I haven't mastered yet is palming a triangle pick so I can play continuously between finger picking and flat picking. I'll get there, but so far I drop it or can't get it back to the right finger position quickly enough. I am about 80% with a regular pick, so maybe I should just hone that skill. Any suggestions? Maybe I should try a thumb pick of the right material to obviate this issue, but I haven't found any I like yet.

PS I was in Pittsburgh when this thread first started and almost took a little drive over to a nearby GC, but my wife was there to keep me on the straight and narrow. I went back home empty handed of course. It looks like the guitar is still for sale but has moved south since then.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?