View Single Post
Old 06-07-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtpolk View Post
I think everyone takes it differently. A smash up is a different story.
I used to think that way. I too was always one who tried my best to keep guitars as pristine as possible and always was very disproportionately upset over acquiring a new ding. A few years ago I inherited a Kazuo Yairi commissioned build DY90 from a wealthy friend. He had an immense collection of the finest acoustic guitars ever made at the time of his death. His favorite was the DY90 that he had the longest. He went to Japan in 1982 and met Mr. Yairi to build it with the only specs being the tightest straight grain top and most dramatic pink and green abalone inlays. Since 1983 when he received it it had been maintained in perfect condition. Every time I visited him he wanted me to play Morning Has Broken in a fingerstyle version. As he was nearing the end from a second round of cancer he told me he wanted me to play that on the Yairi at his memorial and then take the guitar home with me.

About 6 months after he passed I was involved in a high speed rear end collision on a freeway while stopped in construction traffic. The guitar was in the most expensive Gator bag lined with two inches of foam and very form fitting. It was on the rear seat of our brand new Ford Explorer. A distracted truck driver plowed into us and the guitar was propelled into the front seats that both broke backwards crushing the guitar. In addition to the new car and my back both being instantly totaled the guitar was severely crushed. I nearly vomited when I opened the "case" to look at it. I'll never know why my friend didn't have a hard case for the prized instrument. I intended to get one but didn't have time before the long road trip.

A member of this forum told me about a restoration genius in Kansas City, MO he was friends with. A guy named Ed Basnett. I shipped the carnage off to him with little hope of the severely crushed sides and half dozen splits in the top ever being mended suitably. Seven months late he told me it was ready to come home. I followed his progress pics on Facebook where he repaired all the original wood, nothing new was added. You absolutely can't find any evidence it was ever damaged. With the exception of the top repairs you have to be very close to spot, Ed miraculously repaired the sides with no visible interruption to the grain of the beautiful wood on the sides and back. He only charged me $1,500 for the work. The at fault driver's insurance immediately compensated me $3,500 for the guitar right after the accident.

That incident forever altered my view of minor dings and scratches as being totally insignificant. The heavenly sound the guitar had before the wreck was actually improved upon by Ed's restoration techniques. I christened him a Bonafide Restoration Wizard and to this day in my 67 years I have never seen a more remarkable example of human craftsmanship. I plan someday to give the guitar to it's next caretaker when their identity is revealed to me. I've told this story on here several times before and am amazed nobody has said "enough already!".