Thread: banjolele
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
The Outside Uke thread and site got my attention on a banjolele. Yet another composite instrument.

I went from here to Amazon and found that most of the banoleles are composite of one sort or another. Went to reviews and bought the cheapest one that also had great reviews.

Now, I have questions. One of the reviews says that the GCEA uke tuning can be converted to baritone tuning by changing the 4th string to a low G--is that right? I'd like to do that because I then would not have to change my chording.

Also, in another attempt to learn as little as possible while playing a new instrument, what would be the easiest open tuning?

Any help will be appreciated.
Hi Evan,

One issue is when you swap out the high G to a low G you loose that "banjo" sound.... the high g really enhances the banjo jangly ... for lack of a better word ... I am sure there are real banjo players who may jump in. Also after playing the outdoor banjo uke... I found the proportions off. The pan size to neck ratio felt off... the pan size was a little too large for my taste and felt unbalanced IMHO also it felt heavy for such a small instrument....I never got comfortable with it ....it broke my heart to send it back ... it is a very COOL looking instrument with the transparent skin ... your mileage may vary... :-)