View Single Post
Old 10-30-2017, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistertomlinson View Post
1. Should that tie on the bottom of measures 3 and 4 be between the note heads or stems?
Just confirming - between the heads, as shown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistertomlinson View Post
2. In the second example for measure 3 with the triplet and that 3 bracket, would I be able to move the slur under the note heads and leave the bracket above? That would kind of clean it up... but only if it's acceptable and accurate.
Technically it should go above because there's two voices. Slurs and ties go up in the top voice, down in the lower voices.

In fact, I just checked my notation guide (pages and pages on slurs!), and when a slur is combined with a tuplet, the tuplet (the 3 and bracket) should go above the slur. I.e.,the other way round than Sibelius's default has it.

That would mean the slur would look like it does in the first version (angled up to avoid the staccato dot), while the "3" bracket would also need to be angled up to avoid the slur!

All in all - if you're using the version with the triplet - I think I'd go with putting the slur underneath - even if technically incorrect, I think it would look a little more elegant. Alternatively, the triplet bracket could go beneath, but I think that's probably more visually confusing against the stave - and probably harder for the tattooist. (More elegant still to use the version without the triplet, even if not precisely the way it sounds... )

Last edited by JonPR; 10-30-2017 at 04:13 AM.