View Single Post
Old 10-29-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistertomlinson View Post
This time I'll try to ease up on those beam angles. I don't know why I keep slanting them so much.
The general rule of thumb for notation is that your stem should extend an octave. So, see how each stem seems to end where the next octave would be (B to B, G to G, etc). If you start there you'll get "legit" beams.

Of course, there are reasons to break the rule for readability...just look at the high Bs & Cs (1st & 2nd ledger lines above the staff). Those stems are shorter because they are beamed with notes much lower. It would produce overly angled beams that would feel awkward to the eye.

Notation is an art, so remember it comes down to making it look beautiful and readable. It should have a flow.

I'm sure this was all mentioned somewhere in the thread - Guitars Slim & JonPR seem to have the bases covered. I just wanted to point it out again so that you have a good starting place.

I don't think you need to worry too much...not like you need a copy of Gould's "Behind Bars" or anything...but just to help you get in the ballpark...then let your eyes help you fine tune. That's what every music notator does. Let the rules get you close then fine tune with your eyes.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele